My favourite rock singer is a great inspiration to exercise regularly. Check out his videos on youtube and you will know what I mean. 45 now and all that stamina!
One and a half years ago I attended a concert by Taiwanese rock singer, Wu Bai and his band, China Blue. It was a solid rocking time, easily 3 hours’ worth of his greatest hits and popular songs, and boy, did that man sing LIVE (no lip syncing here!), play his guitar, prance around, jump, dance, run across the stage, joke with the audience, and change costumes within blinks of the eye.
And my favourite rock singer was all of 44 years old that time.
No excuse not to exercise!
So 44 and all that stamina, how did he do it? I would assume it was through disciplined, constant exercise. And it is with this assumption that I will remind myself why I need to head to the gym everytime I am stifling yawns after work, fighting logical reasonings like ‘nothing is jiggling, the Levi’s still look good on me, I am feeling tired now, so why go to the gym?’
So counter to that, are the reasons why I must exercise regularly, at least twice a week:
1. There has never been a time in my life during which I exercise regularly, that I suffer from lethargy especially during working hours
2. There have always been (and will always be!) times in my life during which I slack on my exercise, that I decided againt wearing my favourite jeans (or certain outfits) because, well, the flab always caught up with me
This keeps me going on the treadmill or any running track.
3. The tiredness or sleepiness at the end of a long day at work is always, without fail, gone – 5 minutes into an exercise session, thanks to my iPod
4. I always, without fail, feel on top of the world – 10 minutes into an exercise session, and the adrenaline high lasts for a few more hours and ebbs into a pleasant, happy feeling that all is well with the world
5. I feel mentally sharper and more alert – and with a job where I need to constantly come up with fresh ideas, solve problems, counter objections, and find ways to see things from other people’s perspectives, to say that this comes in handy is a huge understatement!
6. I love my food and exercising regularly gives a comforting thought that just in case I have eaten a little too much unhealthy stuff – too much cholesterol, bad fats, sugars or whatever – at least I know that I get my heart pumping regularly and my body to detoxify!
7. I sleep better than usual after exercising.
8. My appetite increases after exercising and food tastes even better! And of course, no worries about that because the metabolic rate increases too.
9. Exercising with weights makes sure I tone up and gain muscle mass – otherwise I tend to look too skinny.
So this morning I woke up and had a run on the treadmill before leaving for work. And I feel on top of the world. And this Saturday I am going to participate in a charity cancer awareness outdoor run which I am really looking forward to.
Life’s great. Carpe Diem!